Monday 13 August 2012

Circus Room For A Little Monkey

If you know a little boy, you're probably most familiar with their monkey-like antics and abundant energy. Coming up with ideas for a boy's bedroom can be pretty fun and creative. A few months ago, I applied for a position as a part-time blogger for Apartment Therapy (which I didn't score, thankyouverymuch). The site requested a few submissions as part of the application. One of the tasks I chose was to create a mood board for a little boy's room. Around this time, I had just finished reading Sara Gruen's Water For Elephants, so I still had the old-school circus romanticism in my mind and decided that would be a great depart for a theme.

After I finished the submission, part of me wished that I had chosen to create a vintage circus theme in my son's bedroom. I've always been fascinated by the travelling circus community and it's history. Nomadic workers in the entertainment field were (and still are) one of a kind. From seeing the freak show to watching wild animals perform, the circus of the past was a highlight of every kid's childhood - until, of course, they find out that the living conditions of both humans and animals were not the greatest. But, let's not burst that little bubble and remain ignorant for the purpose of home decor, ok?

*I managed to somehow delete source information for some of the following products, but if you're interested and it isn't sourced, I can at least try to point you in the right direction.

Worn vintage colours from Sherwin-Williams.

Left: Striped bedding imitates the Big Top. Right: Hanging pennants are a playful motif (pillow case found HERE!).
A steamer trunk dresser is functional, but still cohesive with the theme. Solid pieces like these can be passed down through generations.


Top left: Circus print on typed sheet, from Etsy. Top right: Simple wooden mobile.
Bottom left: Adorable baby circus elephant cushion. Bottom right: Red solid wood student's desk, from an antiques dealer.

Left: Another sweet cushion. Right: Lighted marquee letter lamps to personalized your space.

No comments: