Wednesday 18 January 2012

The San Marino Sandwich

When you're a vegetarian, you learn to become creative with the foods that you like. Sometimes, it can be difficult to get the tastes you crave and still make healthy choices. But mama hit the jackpot today ...

Meet the San Marino Sandwich: warm Italian fococcia bread, San Marino lettuce mix, cream cheese, Feta cheese, and ajvar spread. Ahhhmazing!

San ajvar, what?

San Marino mix consists of arugula, baby spinach, lolla rosa (the purple leaf), and mizuna, among lettuces. The mix is crunchy and a little peppery, thanks to the arugula.

And if you've never heard of ajvar, I don't blame you. But you need to become acquainted! Ajvar is a Croatian/Serbian/Turkish (depending on the type) spread usually made from roasted red pepper and eggplant. The variety I have lends a slightly sweet, but spicy flavour to my sandwiches and crackers. It's great on eggs, too!

Oh, and this sandwich goes great with a glass of Valpolicella ...

2 comments:

Karen said...

I don't mean to toot my own horn (wait, yes I do) but I make a KILLER vegetarian sandwhich.

On a ciabatta bun, the following happens:

-toasted with marble cheese
-veganaise, franks hot sauce, mashed avacado (mixed with garlic, s&p, hemp hearts), grilled graffiti eggplant and mushrooms, tomatos, cucumbers, and baby spinach.

TRY IT.

MamaJ said...

That sounds SO good, Karen! I'm a big fan of avocado. Yum. Thanks!