Tuesday 20 December 2011

A-Nom-Nom-Nom: Making Mint & Cilantro Chutney

I have to say that my husband makes some of the best food I've ever eaten, especially when it comes to dishes that take a little patience. While we're pretty lucky to have a whiz in the kitchen to call our own, sometimes I pull out a gem of a dish (or, in this case, condiment).

After our trip to India way back in January, I frequently get cravings for dosas. It is essentially a crepe of sorts, made with fermented rice batter and black lentils (also known as the 'rava dosa'). My favourite dosa is the 'masala dosa', which is stuffed with onions, spices, and potato and gently rolled into a tube-like shape. And they are HUGE. Like two feet long sort of huge. You might feel a little ridiculous when you are served your first dosa, but that's ok. You'll get over it quickly and be glad there is so much to go around.

The masala dosa, served with a variety of chutneys.

Dosas are usually served with a chutney or two and I have to say that I became mildly obsessed with the creamy cilantro variety. It has a mild, but refreshing taste that soothes your tongue after taking a particularly spicy bite of dosa!

Cilantro chutney (foodtrotter.com)
The nice thing about this chutney is that it only takes a few minutes to make. You'll need:

  • Fresh cilantro
  • Fresh mint leaves
  • Raw almonds, toasted in a pan
  • Plain yogourt (the thicker, the better - high fat always wins!)
  • Garlic, chopped
  • Red onion, roughly chopped
  • Salt, to taste
Throw everything in a food processor. Done! You'll notice that I didn't include any measurements. That's because this really isn't a recipe. You can totally tweak this concoction until it tastes good to you. I recommend using more cilantro than mint, since the mint can be a little overpowering. Keep in mind that raw garlic is potent stuff and can upset tummies. If you want, you can omit the garlic and mint completely. Again, it's up to your personal taste!

I made sweet potato fries last  night and used this chutney as a dip. Hubby made some sort of meatballs and used the chutney for that. It's pretty versatile, so have fun and enjoy!

No comments: